WT students receive 19 creative awards

Local News Story. Art by Chris Brockman.

The WTAMU graphic design students received 19 ADDY Awards for their work in graphic design.  These awards were received on the local level and those students whose graphic design pieces received gold can take their work to district.

[The ADDY’s] are great resume builders,” Leslie Richardson, former president of the American Advertising Federation Amarillo Chapter. “[They] are well respected throughout the advertising industry.”

The ADDY’s awards are designed to recognize creative excellence in all forms of advertising in the media. A graphic design piece entered in the ADDY’s can win an award, not in comparison to another piece, but based on its own merit and. The individual pieces are graded by three judges. These judges give scores based on a 4.0 scale, with a 4.0 receiving a gold.

Anna O’Brien, a senior Graphic Design Major, received two golds for her book covers and also received silver for her piece in the digital photography category and a gold for her movie trailer.

“This is a good opportunity to get feedback [on our work] from professionals outside of the WT faculty,” O’Brien said, “This is a really good opportunity to get exposure for our work.”

For the last four years WT’s graphic design entries have won over all best in show local level of the ADDY Awards in Amarillo. Marcus Melton, assistant professor of Art, said he remembers entering his work in the ADDY awards when he was in school.

“WTAMU has been competing at the ADDY Awards for at least the last 20 years,” Melton said.