Supreme Court rattles students’ opinions on human rights

National News Story. Art by Chris Brockman.

A busy week for the United States Supreme Court has left the nation divided over human rights.

According to CNN News, Supreme Court Justices questioned California’s Proposition 8, which bans same-sex marriage in the case of Hollingsworth v. Perry on March 26.  The following day, the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which defines marriage solely on a heterosexual union, was argued in the case of United States v. Windsor on March 27.

During these cases, ABC News reported that supporters and opponents of gay marriage waved signs in protest outside the Supreme Court.

While opinions were expressed in the nation’s capital, citizens all over the country followed in suit on social media platform by changing their profile pictures to red equality symbols.

WTAMU student Olivia Trabysh, a sophomore English major, participated in the Human Rights Campaign for marriage equality.

“I did participate in the Human Rights Campaign because I believe gay rights are human rights,” Trabysh said.  “I don’t think the government is deciding what a real marriage is, rather they are making a monumental decision that would endow full equality to all citizens of this country. Regardless of your sexual orientation if you are a citizen of America you should be entitled to the same rights. Denying someone the right to marry legally is a religious persecution, not an overstep of the government.”

While many students support the controversial movement, others feel it violates Christian values.

WTAMU student Reid Copelin, a sophomore Secondary Science Education major, believes in the sanctity of heterosexual marriage but he said arguing isn’t the answer.

“Based on my Christian values, the bible says a man and a woman are allowed to be married,” Copelin said.  “At the same time, if we are going to have Christian tolerance then the right thing to do is reach out to people, not judge them.  It’s not something to argue about.”

Although this debate is nothing new, the results of an ABC News/Washington Post poll are new.

Support of gay marriage showed 58 percent of respondents, while 36 percent opposed it. The results were nearly opposite of public opinion on gay marriage in 2003, which showed 37 percent support and 55 percent opposition, according to ABC News.