Study Abroad Fair today in Legacy Hall

Local. Art by Chris Brockman.
Local. Art by Chris Brockman.

Today in the Legacy Hall from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. is a fair put on by the Study Abroad office here at West Texas A&M University.  This fair has representatives from several companies that help students to study abroad.  These companies are ISA (International Study Abroad), Globalinks, API (Academic Programs International), CEA, ESC (European Study Center), School of Field Studies and AIFS.  These companies are here to help any students who have ever considered studying in a foreign country.  They will be able to tell students about the countries that they can visit and the classes offered in those areas.  Also at the fair is Pace Rawlins; he can help DACA recipients to study abroad.

“I want students that are interested in the summer to come because those program applications are still open,” said Carolina Galloway, Director of Study Abroad.

Also at today’s fair will be Dr. Andy Reynolds and Chad Holliday.  They are WTAMU professors who are in charge of faculty led trips coming up.  Dr. Reynolds is leading a trip to Peru for the Spanish department and Holliday is in charge of the trip to Turkey for the glass program here at WTAMU.

“You should study abroad for yourself. You have such a sense of freedom while abroad – this helps you grow personally,” said Alex Montoya, a senior Ad-PR and Broadcasting major who studied in Florence, Italy.

Also at the fair are representatives for the Gilman scholarship.  The Gilman is a Nationally Competitive Scholarship that Pell Grant recipients may apply for.  This scholarship requires students to be gone for either a full spring or fall semester or for at least four weeks of the summer. This scholarship is granted through the U.S. Department of State. Students must be in a program that is eligible to get credit at WTAMU to receive this scholarship.  The emphasis of this scholarship is in languages to non-European countries.

“[Studying abroad is] really valuable to education and who you are going to be,” said Laura Seals, Coordinator of Nationally Competitive Scholarships.

The scholarship available through the Study Abroad Office is the International Education Fee Scholarship.  This scholarship is currently in a transition process that will hopefully allow it to be available to more students.  Those revising this scholarship are also attempting to make the application process simpler. To be eligible for this scholarship students must be taking a full load – during the summer this is a minimum of six hours. For all students hoping to study abroad remember that passports can take up to five weeks to receive. Passport paperwork and pictures can be completed at the USPS offices.

“I’m planning on teaching English in Korea and I hope to gain professional experience,” said Briana Smith, a senior EC-6 Education major, who wants to study abroad.

The Study Abroad office is not the only way for students to explore the world.  There are Nationally Competitive Scholarships that allow students to study abroad.  The Critical Language Scholarship is one where students apply to one of 17 critical languages and the students who receive the scholarship are sent abroad to where the program is that year.  There is an internship in Germany through DAAD; these internships are in sciences.  The Boren scholarship is also available, for which applicants apply to a specific country.  The emphasis for this scholarship is in national security and less commonly taught languages in regions critical to the United States; for example students can apply that are interested in intercultural communication.  There is a service component to this scholarship in that recipients work for the government after their return from their studies abroad.

There is also the Fulbright Scholarship. This scholarship is a Nationally Competitive Scholarship that does not apply to a degree.  The Fulbright can be applied even after graduation.  Those who win this scholarship will spend a year in the country of their choice either teaching English or doing research – also on their subject of choice.  The Nationally Competitive Scholarship office representative is also at the fair today and will be more that happy to give more information to those interested.

“Studying abroad is a fantastic opportunity to widen your horizons. I’m currently studying in Ukraine but in addition to meeting Ukrainians and some Russians, I’ve met so many people from the Middle East, South America and Latin America. You learn so many cultures when you’re also the foreign kid and you always have something to do,” said Danie Fierro, a Mass Communication major.  She is currently studying abroad for her second consecutive semester.