Summer storms take toll on JBK

Jasmine Aranda, Reporter

The Jack B. Kelley Student Center was hit by severe thunderstorms during the summer, causing serious damage to the building’s roof. These damages caused major roof leaks, minor flooding and damage to the small businesses and offices within the building.

“The majority of the damage occurred on May 27, 2015, when there was a hailstorm that caused significant damage to this building as well as others on campus,” said Chance Haugen, director of the JBK. “We’ve had roof leaks for a while, and with having the wettest season we’ve had in quite a long time, we’ve done everything we could to keep the water maintained and the building open until the new roof came in.”

After weeks of JBK repairs, Starbucks reopened for the new school year.
Jasmine Aranda

Repairs to most of the JBK, primarily the food court, have already taken place. Michael Ives, a manager in the food court, said everything was quickly fixed on their end to accommodate the incoming student traffic when the semester began.

“Everything has been taken care of on this side,” said Ives. “There was nothing too bad over here and it’s already been fixed, except a few ceiling spots just outside the door. But we’re all taken care of.”

Cheyenne Becker, a freshman Business Administration major, is ready for the repairs to be over.

“The construction is a little annoying. I’ve been splashed with water from the roof while walking to class, but I’m glad the JBK is still open, at least,” she said.

The original side of the JBK will be getting an entirely new roof, and repairs are still being done on the expansion side. Other buildings on campus will also undergo roof repairs.