Buff Allies provides student support

Jackeline Lopez

Some WT faculty and staff members display the Buff Allies sticker on their office doors.

Jackeline Lopez, Reporter

Buff Allies is a group of staff, faculty and students who are committed to creating a safe and non-discriminating zone for lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA) students at WT.

Buff Allies not only provides support for members of the LGBTQIA community, but also for those who have questions and do not know how or who to ask. Buff Allies is a safe place for anyone who has questions or needs resources. Some professors display the Buff Allies Safe Zone sticker on their doors.

“Buff Allies advisors are sent to trainings where we learn about the proper language to use and we do role-playing so that we are prepared to help students with any situation,” said Dr. Kris Drumheller, interim chair of the History Department and advisor to Buff Allies.

Drumheller said students often think Buff Allies only provides students in the LGBTQIA community with help and support. She said they also provide support for students who have never interacted with a diverse community.

“We teach students what language to use, so when they do interact with members of the LGBTQIA community they don’t say anything that may hurt or offend them,” Drumheller said.

Some students at WT who are a part of the LGBTQIA community say they are excited Buff Allies is educating others about students who are gay, bi-sexual or transgender.

“I am glad for the Buff Allies organization. I hope that more students and professors learn that people in the LGBT community are literally no different from anyone else. We are human. We are no different than anyone else,” said Wesley Alexander, a sophomore Advertising and Public Relations major.

Alexander said he thinks Buff Allies is a great way for people who may never have interacted with people from the LGBT communities to learn more about them.

“John Doe,” a WT student who supports Buff Allies’ mission, wished to remain anonymous because he is not ready to tell friends or classmates that he is gay.

“I really want Buff Allies to really spread the message that you shouldn’t have to be ashamed of being gay. It’s who you are and it’s not fair for people around you to judge you,” he said.

Doe said living in a conservative area makes it really difficult for him to open about who he is because people are judgmental.

“People like to talk negatively about people who are gay when they know nothing about it. They don’t know how much a person has struggled to come out and be open about who they are, only to be ridiculed and shamed for who they are,” said Doe.

Anyone who would like to receive help or support from Buff Allies can email Dr. Kris Drumheller at [email protected] or Dr. Anand Commissiong at [email protected].