WT hosts Buff Up Health Week

WT has been hosting Buff Up Health Week this week.

Abby Betts, Reporter

West Texas A&M University has several resources for remaining healthy, such as the Virgil Henson Activity Center, Student Medical Services and Counseling Services. This year there is another resource at WT that will be offering health tips.

Residential Living has implemented a new programing model for their Resident Assistants called Residential Curriculum.

“It includes portions called Live, Learn, Connect and Grow,” said Ronnie Hall, an area coordinator and a full-time employee for Residential Living.

The effort includes a health-related program during the fifth and sixth week of school, as well as Buff Up Health Week during the first full week of October that has involved all of the Resident Assistants.

“Buff Up Health Week is a program designed by residential living to get on-campus residents to think about their health,” said Lindsey Eggleston, an area coordinator and a full-time employee for Residential Living. “We have three different events that each focus on a different topic of health. One night will focus on physical health and working out, one night will talk about mental health and how to avoid stress and the final night will address nutritional health and how to eat right.”

According to Dictionary.com, one definition of health is the general condition of the body or mind with reference to soundness and vigor. Not only is health about what one does with his or her body, but what one puts into it.

“Tricia Brown, a Sports and Exercise Science instructor, spoke about the harmful causes of neurotoxins,” said Hannah Roddy, a resident assistant at Cross Hall and the host of a program about neurotoxins with Brown. “They affect your body in a toxic way and are very common in the foods we eat.”

Roddy hosted this program to inform residents of the harmful choices they can make, while Brown showed them various ways to improve their diet.

During this time of the semester, classes are in full swing and organizations are becoming busy. Buff Up Health Week is hosted at this time for that reason.

“Now is the point of the semester where students start to becoming overwhelmed with classes and organizational commitment,” said Eggleston. “We want students to take a step back and learn ways to take care of their own health so they can put forth their best efforts into school and activities.”

This series of events not only has been informing residents about health and fitness, but it also has been helping the resident assistants learn how to teach.

“I am excited to see the Resident Assistants teach and help the residents grow,” said Ronnie Hall, also an area coordinator and a full-time employee for Residential Living, “and also to see the RA involvement in the programs.”

Buff Up Health Week began Monday, Oct. 5, and will conclude in Founders Hall on Thursday, Oct. 8, at 8:30 p.m. with a focus on nutritional health and eating right.