WTAMU Fall Carnival to Offer Safe Alternative to Halloween Festivities

Jonathan Espinoza, Co-Editor

The Office of Student Engagement and Leadership (OSEL) will once again host their annual Fall Carnival on the campus of West Texas A&M University on October 29 at Buffalo Sports Park from 7 – 9 p.m.

With a continued partnership with BSA Health System, the event will offer a safe, family-friendly alternative to the usual spooks and scares of the Halloween season.

“It will be a fun and safe way for students and children to enjoy Halloween,” said Alexis Harlan, senior health science major.  “We will have BSA out there as well, doing safety education.  They’ll bring out ambulances, S.W.A.T, helicopters, police and will do a safety talk for the kids.”

Highlighted by the involvement of student groups and organizations, this year’s Fall Carnival is seeking to strike a balance between campus and Canyon communities in order to have a successful event.

“I think that it is important to emphasize that while this is a family and community event, it is a WT event,” said Sami Landers, assistant director of the Office of Student Engagement and Leadership.  “I think where we get most of our students is when they partner with their organizations and volunteer to serve, and through that they get to dress up as well and it is a lot of fun for everyone involved.”

The carnival, which is free to the public, will have a little of something for everyone, young and old alike.  Participants are encouraged to dress up in their favorite family-friendly costume.  Inflatables will be on hand for children to play on, and for student organizations participating in the Trunk-or-Treat or costume contests, up for grabs are various prizes.

“For the trunks, we have competitions,” said Stetson Smitherman, senior biology major.  “It’s most creative trunk, best overall costume, and most Halloween spirited group.  It’s a competition to keep it fun for the kids and for the students involved as well…it also will have a very strong safety aspect to it; it provides kids and their families a safe place to go and have fun.”

Space is still available and both campus and community organizations are encouraged to take part in this event.  For more information regarding registration please contact Stetson Smitherman at [email protected] or by phone at (806) 651-2313.