Block and Bridle Organization to Host Horse Show

Marni Steckmann, Reporter

As a university located in the Texas Panhandle with a thriving school of agriculture, West Texas A&M University holds many equestrian events throughout the year. One of WT’s agricultural organizations, Block and Bridle, will host an open horse show on Saturday.

“WT’s Block and Bridle chapter typically hosts two horse shows a year, one in the fall and one in the spring,” Jenna Trumble, horse show committee head, said.

The organization has been hosting horse shows for four years.

According to the WTAMU Block and Bridle website, WT’s Block and Bridle is part of the National Block and Bridle Club and follows their national standards and objectives.

“The organization focuses on promoting agriculture on college campuses across the nation, developing a high academic standard among students, and enhancing the professional abilities of students within College of Agriculture,” Kaycie Timm, horse show committee member, said.

Timm has been on the horse show committee for two years and is in charge of the show office at the horse show. She will be responsible for entries, registration, finances and paperwork for the event.

Block and Bridle was given the 2015-2016 WT Outstanding Organization of the year award and currently has one of the largest member bodies of any group on campus.

According to Timm, Block and Bridle attempts to keep show costs as low as possible so that more exhibitors are able to join them for their shows. The horse show fees are currently a $5 office fee per horse, $7 a class or an all-day pass for $40, which includes all-class entries for one horse and rider combo.

While many WT students are involved in agriculture and the animal science programs, many of the attendees are not WT students, according to Trumble. Several are 4-H students and people from the community. Block and Bridle horse shows serve as a fundraiser for the organization.

“We greatly appreciate our sponsors, exhibitors and volunteers who make it a success,” Trumble said.

According to Timm, there will also be a silent auction and high point prizes donated by local retailers.

The show will be judged by current WT student Breanna Grebin. Grebin is a current Block and Bridle member and current member of the WT Horse Judging Team. Registration will open at 8 a.m. with the show starting at 9 a.m.