Johnson tabbed new vice president of strategic relations

Photo courtesy of WT Press Office

Nick Alvarado, Former Editor for The Prairie

West Texas A&M is expanding in all sorts of ways with newly constructed buildings, record enrollment and new faculty and staff.

With expansion comes new positions in faculty as Dr. Bradley Johnson will be the new Vice President of strategic relations, starting on October 2.

“[My job] is to be there in support of the President,” said Johnson, who is currently the president of Northeast Texas Community College. “The focus will be on the development on outstanding transfer students. This position is a resource to the university.”

Johnson’s new description will include building relationships with other college presidents across the state of Texas and in the region, aiming towards transfer students as part of President Walter Wendler’s long-term plan in ‘WT 125.’ This plan will last until WT’s 125th birthday in 2035 and was discussed at Wendler’s inauguration on Sept. 15.

“Dr. Wendler had been looking for an opportunity to bring on someone who had deep relationships with community college presidents.” Johnson said.

Little changes will be seen, with a group having to agree in order for changes to occur.

“Changes will come in from various places in the university when we decide jointly that a change is necessary,” Johnson said.

Johnson is currently the president of Northeast Texas Community College in Mount Pleasant, a position which he has held since 2008. Johnson cites that family brought him to WT.

“My parents live in Colorado Springs, Colo.,” said Johnson. “It’s time for me to be more involved in their lives with them being in their mid-80s.”

Johnson is a Canyon native and WT alum from WT, graduating with a bachelor’s degree in 1981 and receiving his masters in counseling in 1984.

Johnson earned his second masters from Texas Tech in 1999 in higher education and a doctorate in educational studies from the University of Nebraska in 2004.

The transfer student ratio at WT is 13% with 845 students having transferred at WT within the past fall semster. This follows agreements with Amarillo College, Clarendon College, Frank Phillips College, Midland College, South Plains College and a handful of high schools across the Panhandle.