“Cheers to Mocktails” event to be hosted to promote awareness of safe alcohol consumption

Graphic courtesy to WT Health and Wellness Promotion Facebook page

Students will have the chance to learn how to make “yummy” mocktails as part of safe alcohol consumption promotion.

Love the idea of bartending but don’t want to spend the money on alcohol or just don’t like to drink? WT Health and Wellness Promotion is partnering with PULSE Peer Educators to put on a virtual event where students and the local community can learn how to make “the most darling” mocktails.

“Cheers to Mocktails is an event hosted by the Office of Health and Wellness Promotion that is a fun-filled virtual night, where student leaders and a bartender will be showcasing some ‘yummy’ mocktails while educating the student body on safe alcohol consumption,” said Kyontasia Wilson, senior nursing major and president of PULSE Peer Educators.

Cheers to Mocktails is the second in a series of virtual events put on by WT Health and Wellness Promotion, partnering with PULSE, to encourage students to live a healthy lifestyle and “thrive holistically” on campus. The event is for students to get information about alcohol awareness, the importance of alcohol consumption, what it does to the body and how to create fun drinks without alcohol.

“As college students, it is important to have fun during these years; however, college campuses across the nation have a problem with risky behaviors related to overconsumption of alcohol as well as alcohol positioning,” Wilson said.

The purpose of the event is to educate the student body on how to know one’s limit and how to measure out alcohol to safely and responsibly drink on those fun nights out or in. Students will be able to learn from a seasoned bartender how to accurately measure out alcohol while getting some fall mocktail drink ideas.

“We hope to see many WT students Zoom in and learn more about alcohol awareness and what alcohol does to your body. Health and Wellness is also excited to put on health and wellness events for students. We hope these are educational and fun,” said Gloria Torres, senior corporate communications major and the PEER Leader serving as the event coordinator.

Students will see a presentation from Dr. Nick Flynn over alcohol consumption and what it does to the body and some fun non-alcoholic drinks they can make from members of PULSE along with the opportunity to win free prizes. The event will be held virtually just in time for happy hour via Zoom meeting Oct. 15, 2020 at 5:30 p.m. Students can register to join the event on the WT Health and Wellness Promotion Facebook page.

PULSE members, Mellissa Bullock, Tasia Wilson and Maria Contreras will show how to make a Shirley Temple Mocktail, Rosemary Blueberry Smash Mocktail, and a Ginger Cinnamon Apple Cider Mocktail. According to the WT Health and Wellness Promotion webpage, their purpose is “Informing students on healthy lifestyle choices and resources to make them thrive on campus.”

According to their webpage, PULSE is a student organization “that seeks to educate and support students in making healthy lifestyle choices with regard to important social issues faced by college students.” Their main focus is to provide students and the external community with fun, interactive and informative programs and services that will enhance both personal and academic skills.

“Future events that you will see from our office this semester are ‘There is no Excuse for Drug Abuse’, and Relaxation Week partnered with the Office of Student Engagement and Leadership,” Torres said

Future virtual events organized by WT Health and Wellness Promotion include:
Great American Smokeout, Nov. 19th
Drug Awareness Event, Nov. TBD
Mindfulness & Relaxation Week, Nov. 30-Dec. 3