WT’s Alex Hunt Among 22 New Texas A&M System Regents Professors, Fellows

Copy by Chip Chandler, 806-651-2124, [email protected]

CANYON, Texas — West Texas A&M University’s Dr. Alex Hunt was named one of 22 Regents Professors and Regents Fellows for 2019-20 during The Texas A&M University System Board of Regents’ Nov. 12 meeting.

Hunt is a professor of English, the Vincent/Haley Endowed Professor of Western American Studies and director of the Center for the Study of the American West.

“Dr. Hunt invests great time and effort to championing the study of western America, to the benefit of his students, his University and to the public at large,” said Dr. Neil Terry, WT provost and executive vice president for academic affairs. “He sets a strong example for his students and his fellow faculty members. We are extraordinarily pleased that the Regents have granted him this great honor.”

The Board established the Regents Professor Awards program in 1996 and the Regents Fellow Service Awards program in 1998 to recognize employees who have made extraordinary contributions to their university, or agency, as well as to the people of Texas. Regents Professors are awarded a $15,000 stipend and a special commemorative medallion bearing the seal of the

A&M System.

“These individuals exemplify the commitment to excellence in research and service that sets A&M System employees apart,” said Elaine Mendoza, Chairman of The Texas A&M University System Board of Regents. “I hope their example will inspire others in their own endeavors.”

Hunt said he was humbled by the honor.

“It’s an acknowledgment that the work I’ve been doing on the American West and the Texas Panhandle is important,” Hunt said. “It’s also a validation of our work at CSAW, and this award will help me further establish the center.”

In addition to Hunt, this year’s recipients of the Regents Professor Award are:

Dr. Julia Ballenger, Texas A&M University-Commerce
Dr. Frances Bernat, Texas A&M International University
Dr. Jane Bolin, Texas A&M University Health Science Center
Dr. Fred Bonner II, Prairie View A&M University
Dr. Yassin Hassan, Texas A&M University
Dr. Patrick Louchouarn, Texas A&M University at Galveston
Dr. Bhimanagouda Patil, Texas A&M University AgriLife Research
Dr. Luz Mary Rincon, Texas A&M University-Texarkana
Dr. Susan Roberson, Texas A&M University-Kingsville
Dr. Christine Stanley, Texas A&M University
Dr. Gregory Stunz, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
Dr. David Threadgill, Texas A&M University Health Science Center
Dr. Edward Westermann, Texas A&M University-San Antonio
Dr. Peter Yu, Texas A&M University

This year’s recipients of the Regents Fellow Service Awards are:

Dr. Diane Boellstorff, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension
Mr. D. Lance Bullard, Jr., Texas A&M Transportation Institute
Dr. Susan Chrysler, Texas A&M Transportation Institute
Mr. John Crawford, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station
Mr. Alphonse Davis, Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service
Mr. Wes Moorehead, Texas A&M Forest Service
Dr. Ruben Saldaña, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension

The selection process for the awards begins with a call for nominations from the chancellor. Final nominations are put forth to the chief executive officer of each respective entity. They are then subject to a System-level review consisting of academic vice chancellors and past recipients of the awards. Finally, nominations are forwarded to the chancellor and the board for final approval.

To date, 268 A&M system faculty members have been recognized with the Regents Professor Award and 157 agency professionals have received the Regents Fellow Service Award.

Previously named Regents Professors at WT have included Dr. Lal K. Almas, associate dean of the Paul Engler College of Agriculture and Natural Science; Dr. Jean A. Stuntz, professor of history; Dr. William J. Rogers, professor of environmental science; Dr. John L. Pipkin, professor of animal science and equine industry program director; Dr. Bruce Brasington, professor of history; Dr. Darlene Pulliam, professor of accounting and McCray Professor of Business; Dr. Robert Hansen, director of the School of Music; Royal R. Brantley, director of theatre; the late Dr. Charmazel Dudt, former professor of Shakespeare studies; and the late Dr. Peter Petersen, professor emeritus of history.

Prioritizing research is a key component of the University’slong-term plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World.

About the Texas A&M University System

The Texas A&M University System is one of the largest systems of higher education in the nation with a budget of $6.3 billion. The System is a statewide network of 11 universities; a comprehensive health science center; eight state agencies, including the Texas Division of Emergency Management; and the RELLIS Campus. The Texas A&M System educates more than 151,000 students and makes more than 22 million additional educational contacts through service and outreach programs each year. System-wide, research and development expenditures exceeded $1 billion in FY 2019 and helped drive the state’s economy.

WT is located in Canyon, Texas, on a 342-acre residential campus. Established in 1910, the University has been part of The Texas A&M University System since 1990. With enrollment of more than 10,000, WT offers 60 undergraduate degree programs, 38 master’s degrees and two doctoral degrees. The University is also home to the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, the largest history museum in the state and the home of one of the Southwest’s finest art collections. The Buffaloes are a member of the NCAA Division II Lone Star Conference and offers 15 men’s and women’s athletics programs.