WTAMU program ranked one of best in the country

Alyssa Gonzales

The Paul and Virginia Engler College of Business’s mission includes providing students with high quality business education with a global perspective and ethical awareness.

West Texas A&M University’s finance and economics graduate program has ranked number two in the country along with several other top-tier colleges and universities around the nation.

The TFE Times added WTAMU to “the best Master’s of Financial Economics programs.” WTAMU ranked second under Columbia University.

“The rankings demonstrate the career benefit graduates of the MSFE program receive. The dynamic program allows each student to pick his or her path to create the educational knowledge needed for career advancement,” said Dr. Anne Macy, Gene Edwards professor of finance.

While this is quite the accomplishment for this program, this year’s ranking will be the fourth year in a row that WTAMU’s MSFE program is ranked second in the nation.

“The ranking of #2 for the fourth straight year is exceptional because it confirms and rewards our efforts to continuously improve the MSFE program. We strive to provide the best education so our graduates can be successful in the changing global economy,” Macy said.

According to the TFE Times website, their rankings of university programs are based on criteria such as undergraduate GPA, acceptance rate and full time graduates employed at graduation. The website also mentions that “A score for each program is the weighted average of each of the components respective score, where the weights sum to 100%. The final scores are normalized and are not rounded.”

As impressive as it is, this isn’t the only accomplishment that this program has seen this year.

The Master of Science and Finance and Economics page on WTAMU’s website reports that “The program earned a 2021 #34 ranking (#18 for Veterans) as a best graduate business program by U.S. News & World Report.­”

There is no doubt that these feats have brought much recognition to the MSFE program and those who are in it and help it function.

“The ranking confirms that our department works well together as a team. We understand and value each other’s courses. Together we create an outstanding program for our students.” Macy said.

Being number two is major not only for the faculty and professors of the department, but also serves as beneficial for the students.

“The ranking is positive for our students because it is another validation of the quality education the Paul & Virginia Engler College of Business provides. Employers and potential students notice and value rankings. Overall, the continued high ranking from TFE Times helps build our reputation, which is a tangible gain for all of our students and graduates.” Macy said.

To read more of the MFSE’s accomplishments or for more information regarding the program, visit their web page.