Taoist Philosopher in Spotlight for WT’s Great Books Series in March 

Chip Chandler

Photo provided by WT Communication and Marketing

Copy by Chip Chandler, 806-651-2124, [email protected]  

CANYON, Texas — The modern applications of an ancient Chinese philosopher’s works will be the focus of the March installment of West Texas A&M University’s Great Books Series. 

Dr. Daniel Bloom, Great Books organizer and associate professor of philosophy, will lead the discussion of Taoist thinker Zhuang Zhou, otherwise known as Zhuangzi or Chuang Tzu, at 7 p.m. March 8 via Zoom. 

“His writings, while approaching the world in a manner vastly different from most modern views, are strikingly easy to relate to, or at least I find them to be so,” Bloom said. “I think he provides us with ample material for discussion, even in the brief excerpts we will read.” 

The discussion series — sponsored by the Department of English, Philosophy and Modern Languages — is open to those who either have or haven’t read the book, Bloom said. 

WT professors and guest lecturers lead the monthly discussions. 

The series began in 2011 and is traditionally held in person on the second Tuesday of the month at Burrowing Owl Books, 7406 S.W. 34th Ave., Suite 2B, in Amarillo. It shifted to Zoom during the Covid-19 pandemic; a return to in-person meetings is expected to occur in coming months. 

To register for the March discussion, email Bloom at [email protected]. 

The series is one way in which WT serves the region by offering engagement with a variety of literary and philosophical texts. Being a learner-centered university is a key principle of the University’s long-term plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World. 

That plan is fueled by the historic, $125 million One West comprehensive fundraising campaign. 

WT is located in Canyon, Texas, on a 342-acre residential campus. Established in 1910, the University has been part of The Texas A&M University System since 1990. WT, a Hispanic Serving Institution since 2016, boasts an enrollment of about 10,000 and offers 59 undergraduate degree programs, 39 master’s degrees and two doctoral degrees. The University is also home to the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, the largest history museum in the state and the home of one of the Southwest’s finest art collections. The Buffaloes are a member of the NCAA Division II Lone Star Conference and offers 14 men’s and women’s athletics programs.