WT’s Student-Run PR Firm Celebrates 5-Year Anniversary

CANYON, Texas — 1910 PR, West Texas A&M University’s student-run public relations firm, marks the fifth anniversary of its public launch in November.

The firm has worked completely remotely this semester under the direction of seniors Tomi Moralez, Meredith Simpson and Elle Waters.

From Houston to Midland to Paris, Texas, the firm’s staff members have been spread across the state as never before. To continue offering this experiential opportunity to WT’s growing community of online students, 1910 PR may continue to alternate between fully remote and fully in-person semesters, said Dr. Emily Kinsky, lead adviser for the firm and professor of media communication.

1910 PR celebrated the fifth anniversary of the firm with both current members and alumni during a Nov. 7 virtual reunion.

“Reflecting on the anniversary, I realize how indebted I am to the founders and alumni,” Moralez said. “They truly created something amazing. I cannot wait to see where 1910 PR goes from here.”

In the spring 2017 semester, 12 undergraduate students, one graduate student and one faculty adviser laid the foundation for the establishment of 1910 PR. This original staff is referred to as “The Founding 14.”

Moralez, a public relations and advertising major from Plainview, serves as the 1910 PR executive director for fall 2022.

“For the first time, we have multiple teams meeting throughout the week,” Moralez said. “I quickly learned that a big part of the executive director role is just having faith in your colleagues, and we have a staff that I can trust to get the job done and do the best for 1910.”

Simpson, of Amarillo, is a communication studies major with an emphasis in strategic communication and serves as a 1910 PR assistant director. This is her second semester on staff, previously serving an account team leader.

“Being selected as a member of the 1910 PR executive board this semester has been the most rewarding time in my college career,” Simpson said. “These past two semesters of working as a member of the firm have given me real-world experience that will seamlessly carry me into the next phase of my life.”

Waters, also of Amarillo, is a communication studies major with an emphasis in strategic communication and serves as an assistant director of 1910 PR.

“1910 PR has given me the chance to test my skills in a professional environment and build confidence both in myself and in my team,” Waters said. “I’m so proud of the work we’ve created this semester, and I’m so thankful for the opportunity to work alongside Tomi and Meredith, who are both driven and caring individuals.”

Kinsky said she is honored to have been involved with the founding of 1910 PR.

“It has been such a pleasure to watch 1910 PR staff members graduate with hands-on work with real clients and to see how that experience opens doors for them,” Kinsky said. “We have alumni doing amazing things.”

Photo: Meredith Simpson, from left, Tomi Moralez and Elle Waters are the current executive board of 1910 PR, WT’s student-run PR firm.