Card gives access: Buffalo gold card students’ passport

Photo by David Meraz.
Photo by David Meraz.

The Buffalo Gold Card is like a passport for students at WTAMU. The Buffalo Gold Card does not allow us entrance to foreign countries but it does grant students access into the Hastings Electronic Learning Center, the Virgil Henson Activities Center, sporting events and free movie night in Canyon every other Sunday.

One other advantage the card gives students has to do with money. Students can deposit money into their account and use the card just like cash at various locations on campus, in Canyon and in Amarillo.

“The benefits of putting money onto your Gold Card are many,” Patrick Bolwahnn, ID Card Administrator, said. “[It’s] faster, safer, accepted at more on-campus places than a debit card, and accepted at fifty-five off-campus merchants.”

There are many ways to deposit money onto a students Buff card. There are six places on campus where students can make a deposit onto their account One of the six places is across the bookstore, the Buffalo Gold Card Office. In addition to making a deposit at one of the six locations students can call the business office and make a deposit. Parents can also make a deposit onto their students account through the web.

Andrew Villarreal, a freshman Political Science and Sociology major uses his card at various places on campus.

“It’s definitely convenient to for many reasons,” Villarreal said. “In the JBK I just swipe and go.”

One place one would never think about using the card is at the dorms. During the weekend when there is nothing open on campus vending machines are still open.

“I always use my card at vending machines,” DJ Atwood, Freshman Education major said.

According to Bolwahnn, there are 39 locations in Canyon that accept the Buff card and 14 locations in Amarillo.

“It makes it sometimes easier when using the card at a restaurant in Canyon,” said Atwood.

Locations outside the university sometimes offer specials for students who are using their Buff card to pay. For a list of current specials students can visit www. buffalogoldcard.com and click on the Specials link.