Residence halls offer programs

WTAMU’s Residence Hall Association offers activities not only for students who live on campus, but also commuters who want to be an active part of University life.

“[The programs] help open the eyes [of students] to every part of the college experience,” Kacy Lynn Atkinson, area coordinator over Jarrett, Statford and Shirley hall, said. “It helps students to get out and meet new people, to learn about themselves and gives the students an opportunity to get involved with their campus.”

Some ideas for RHA events are generated by students who live in the dorms. Others events are created by Resident Assistants (RAs).

“[RAs] take [student] interests and come up with ideas for programs that they would enjoy,” Becky Prop, a RA at Cross Hall, said. “It is really important to have programs where [students] can meet new people and get to know each other better.”

Because student generated ideas are allowed, each program should have something to offer. RHA is known for planning events such as paper football contests, dances, photo shoots and arts and crafts projects.

“The halls offer every kind of program imaginable, from academic programs that teach freshmen how to be successful in college, like WT 101, to social programs where we will get everyone together and have a BBQ and play games,” Atkinson said.

Most programs are free to students and all necessary supplies are provided for them by RHA.

“Students are not required to bring any materials to any events, all events are completely funded by the halls and residential living,” Atkinson said. “Students are allowed to bring any guest they choose to an event.”

The halls operate under a program where the RAs host events in an attempt to get students involved in their residential community and educate the students.  There are four different types of programs that the RAs create.  The programs are academic, educational, community service oriented or social programs.