BWA raises awareness for diabetes

Ashley Gates, Tamitayo Fakiyesi, Raleisha Martin, Shannel Pickens, committee members standing by the diabetes board. Courtesy Photo.

The Black Women’s Association sponsored diabetes awareness on the WTAMU campus last week.

They set up tables in the JBK Commons to pass out flyers and sugar-free candy in order to raise awareness about diabetes among students.

The ladies of Black Women’s Association said they believe it is necessary to educate people on the risks and seriousness of diabetes. Man y people do not know about the perils and threats this diseases carries with it; therefore, the need to increase awareness among people, especially the younger generation.

“So many college students are getting diabetes and they need to be aware of things before they get the disease and by bringing awareness to diabetes, we possibly can save a student,” Lyntoria Davis, a member of the Diabetes Awareness Committee said.

The United States has seen a 35 percent increase in diabetes since 1995 and the number of people under age 20 who have diabetes has gone up. Presently, approximately 186,000 people under the age of 20 in the United States are living with diabetes. Diabetes may have a genetic component that is hereditary. Shannel Pickens, member of the diabetes committee said that The BWA feels it is important to encourage people to get tested and know if they are borderline diabetic.

“We are trying to achieve empowerment and to know that even a small group of people can make a difference and one act can make a difference,” she said. “So by doing 2 days of diabetes awareness, we were inspired to inform our fellow students about ways that they can prevent diabetes.”

The ladies of BWA had a table in the JBK commons where they were passing out information on diabetes, sugar free candy, and flyers  Nov. 10-11.

They also wore diabetes shirts that talked about diabetes. For example, Temitayo Fakiyesi’s shirt said “My dad has diabetes” on the front, and “does not mean I have it” on the back of her shirt.

BWA’s goals of bringing awareness to the organization and of impacting the community in positive ways were put into action by the diabetes awareness program they set up. The event was a success as they passed out 80 sugar free candy bars and gum in total on both days. The ladies hope this awareness program will educate people about the risks of diabetes and reduce the epidemic of diabetes in the United States.