Harry Potter charms audience once again

Official Movie Poster.
Official Movie Poster.

The “Harry Potter” film series is nearing its end, but the hype over the films is anything but dying.

“The Deathly Hallows,” the last film installment of the book series by J.K. Rowling, is the only Harry Potter novel that has been divided into two films. Warner Bros., the studio behind the Harry Potter franchise, predicts that weekend ticket sales will top over $100 million.

“Potter”-philes also rejoiced over the news of two “Deathly Hallows” because of the limited amount of content that would be cut, but there is pressure on Warner Bros. to deliver.

“My expectations are higher because they put it in two parts,” Kelly Chown, freshman social work major, said

Garry Cathey, owner of the Varsity Theatre in Canyon, hopes that “The Deathly Hallows” will bring a lot of business. Varsity is known for having free movie nights for WT students every other Sunday, but “The Deathly Hallows” will be the first big blockbuster midnight release of the school year.

“I’m hoping to have a full house,” Cathey said. “Everyone’s excited about the film, [even though] I don’t get the hype.”

Although the Varsity did not have nearly as many lines as other local theaters such as Cinemark Hollywood, the excitement among the movie-goers was still the same.

Charles Potter, a freshman computer science major, came to the premiere dressed up as Harry Potter, himself.

“I’m expecting [the two movies] to be worth the money I spent.” Potter said.

Other fans were excited for the film’s release because of the time they’ve invested with the series and the main actors; Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint.

“I’ve been impressed by watching [Daniel, Emma and Rupert] grow as actors,” Kylie Bearden, freshman musical theatre major, said. “Their onscreen relationship has improved.

“I’ve read all the books and I’ve watched [this series] since I was 12,” Frank Anguiano, a sophomore theatre performance major said. “I’m wondering what I’m going to do [when the series ends, because Harry Potter] was a part of our growing-up experience.”

“The Deathly Hallows” took in $24 million during its Nov. 19 midnight showing. “Part Two” will be released in theaters in July 2011.