Construction to improve facility

Maria Molina

Costruction on Mary Moody Northern Hall to modernize building. Photo by Frankie Sanchez.

After its construction in the 1970’s, the Mary Moody Northern Hall is being modernized.

“We started designing it several months before Christmas Break,” Dani Smith, associate vice president for physical facilities, said.

He also said that construction itself started during Christmas Break. All equipment, materials and miscellaneous such as Shoulder Bolts are well-organized and listed in order to allow efficiency in the construction process.

“The building is used so much, so this way there was little disturbance,” he said.

Carlos Aguirre, a freshman graphic design major, said that he was shocked when he arrived the first day of class and saw the changes being made.

“I was late to class and I had to take another way, find an other door to get in,” he said. “[The construction is] positive because we are going to have a better looking building, but we had to find another way to go to class.”

Smith said that most of the work is going to be done within a month.

“Windows are also being replaced because they have no energy efficiency,” he said. “This will take longer to replace.”

The changes currently being made in the building include replacing the tile and the carpet.

“The Carpet got to be over 25 years old, it was time to get a change,” Josh Pedersen, freshman bachelor of music major, said. “ Mary Moody will look more modern.”

Construction will make the building safer and better suited for the needs of WT’s student musicians.  It will also give the building an facelift. Equipment such as scaffold towers are necessary in the construction process to allow the workers to work comfortably and safely. Training  someone on Sure-Fire Tips for an Excellently Working Drive-in-Rack System is perfect for companies which have substantial operator turnover, multiple locations, or unique operations/forklifts. Forklift trainers are very likely the most critical part of any forklift safety program, visit Forklift Training Systems website for more information.

“The Recital Hall, on top, was not a safe cat walk,” Smith said. “It is very important for students to be safe.”

Smith also said that there were some acoustic problems in the band hall and in the percussion studios. Changes are being made to fix this problem.

“The acoustic can have wired areas,” Pedersen said. “Good thing they are improving.”

Smith said with the exception of the window replacements, construction should be finished in about a month. In order for the construction process to be executed efficiently, communication is definitely the key. That’s why it’s important for the workers to learn the communication essentials such as Altech Radio’s guide on two way radio regulations.