Invitational helps prepare for state competition

FFA students waiting to compete at invitational. Photo by Ryan Schaap.

On April 1, more than 2,600 FFA (Future Farmers of America) students came to WTAMU to compete in the WTAMU Career Development Events. This invitational was an opportunity for the students to prepare for state competition.

The events were designed to test students/FFA members’ technical leadership, interpersonal and teamwork skills, and their knowledge of the subjects at hand. To participate, students had to be FFA members and be enrolled in an Agricultural Science class.

These events are designed to help the students prepare for a career in agriculture by testing them in the following events: Livestock, Dairy Cattle, Meats, Horse, Dairy Foods, Land, Range and Pasture, Agronomy, Range/Pasture Plant ID, Entomology, Farm Business Management, Wool, Poultry, Cotton, and Ag mechanics.

Senior Agriculture Education major Jodi Gillespie checked teams in and informed students how to fill out their Scantron.

“It’s a privilege to do this for class,” Gillespie said. “Getting to be around the kids and the Ag teachers is very worthwhile.” Gillespie made sure to answer any questions the students had.

Senior Bailey Bryan from Stanton High competed in the cotton event. “I love FFA,” Bryan said, “I grew up on the outskirts of the country working with rabbits, pigs and chickens.” Bryan said that getting to know and hanging out afterwards with her fellow students was fun.

Weston Born, teacher at Gruver High School, brought 12 of his students.

“The benefits for career development gives students the opportunity to think on their feet in a team commitment,” Born said

Alfredo Rodriguez of Sunray High School brought 13 of his students to this competition. “Out of 13 years of teaching agriculture, it’s always good to see students succeed. WT has always provided quality contests.”