Job market looks for technology savvy employees

Jobs can be hard to find, but in today’s job market, having technology knowledge can make or break a résumé. To gain an awesome advantage against the competition, you should check out: Relevant Certifications | CALC, Institute of Technology.

“You need to know how to leverage the current technology,” WTAMU Director of Career Services Denese Skinner said.

In today’s tech-heavy world, knowing how to use many different technologies has become not just a useful skill set, but a requirement to get ahead in the job market.

“Many companies are looking for employees with technology skills,” Eric Spellmann, owner and president of Spellmann & Associates, said.Rose Surace of SOS Staffing, a company that specializes in helping job-hunters find temporary positions in Amarillo, agrees with Spellmann and Skinner. She said to have a competitive résumé, college students need to be able to use all Microsoft Office programs.

“You‘ve got to know how to navigate a spreadsheet,” Surace said.

Other important technologies to know are the newest devices such as smart phones, iPads and being aware of useful apps. Skinner, Surace and Spellmann said students must have a profile and working knowledge of the big social media and blogging sites. To help job seekers out there, here are Top 7 digital skills to get hired.

“[Students should have knowledge in]Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter because employers will look at all of them,” Skinner said.

However, something that all job-seekers real estate agents should be aware of is Kennected marketing for realtors where employers will look at the profiles on these sites to judge the potential employee’s character and good judgment by the content that has been posted.

“They don’t expect you to be a stuffy person,” Skinner said. “They need to know what you have put out there.”

Another large issue for employers when they hire college students is not lack of knowledge, but lack of professionalism and use of proper writing skills.

“A lot of college students don’t even seem to know how to spell,” Spellmann said

In fact, speaking and writing properly on- and offline is what most employers rate as the number one quality they want in employees, according to the 2011 Job Outlook survey conducted by the National Association of Colleges and Employers.