Coffee Memorial Blood Center to host blood drive

Shawn Walker, Junior Pre-Med student, after donating blood. Photo by Georgia Romig.

Web Editor’s Note: To see more photos of the blood drive, click here.

WTAMU is hosting a Blood Drive from April 2 to April 5.

Donations are taken at the JBK Student Center and the “Bloodmobile”, located in front of the Dining Hall from 9 to 6 p.m.

The drive will be sponsored by the Coffee Memorial Blood Center. Since 1949, CMBC has provided life-saving blood products and transfusion services to patients throughout the high plains. One of their regular donation stops is WT. Their last donation drive was on Feb. 6 – 9.

CMBC recently put out a call for donations to help people injured during Spring Break. As written on their Facebook Page on March 29, “Coffee Memorial was already facing an uphill battle with the blood supply following the automobile accidents over Spring Break. However, with several local traumas last night, our blood supply is in critical need of several types in this order of emergent need O-, A+, B-, O+ and A-.”According to the Coffee Memorial Blood Center website, all eligible donors will receive a free Coffee Memorial umbrella or other gift. Additionally, donors will also be entered into a daily drawing sponsored by the Residence Hall Association. The residence hall with the most donors will win a pizza party.

WT students are volunteering to keep track of the dorm residents and organizations donating.

“We’re volunteering to see if we can get any of the other organizations we’re in to donate,” said Christian Ortiz, freshman music/business major, who was volunteering at the drive on Monday. “I’m trying to get my frat to join.”

Coffee Memorial has also launched a campaign in order to raise funds for a new bloodmobile. Text BLOOD to 50555 to make a $10 donation. Donations can be scheduled by calling 1-806-358-4563. For office hours and more information, visit their web site, www.thegiftoflife.org.