Walking towards greatness

Construction brings joy to my heart.  Limited parking puts a spring in my step.  Freshly painted crosswalks thrill me because I am a pedestrian.

If I hit a car, the car will survive.  If a car hits me, I might not survive.  The fewer available parking spots, the fewer people driving to the university.  By decreasing the ease of finding a parking spot on campus, the University is reminding students that they have feet.  Although WTAMU is traditionally considered a commuter school, a lot of students live off-campus within walking distance of the University.

Walking may not seem convenient, but it is not like driving around campus for 15 minutes looking for a parking spot is convenient.  Walking can save money, save time and make for a healthier lifestyle.

Construction can also lead to a decrease in traffic.  Besides being important from that aspect, construction signifies growth on campus.  The better the University looks in the future, the more my degree will be worth in the long run.  Recently U.S. New and World Report ranked WT 30 among Regional Public Universities.  If WT is going to continue gaining more prestige, the University must continue to expand and make positive changes.

There is no such thing as a university with good parking, but there are other schools that are safe for pedestrians.  WT is becoming one of those Universities.  With the recent addition of bike lanes and the end to parking on Russell Long, pedestrians are no longer faced with rows of cars that make it impossible to look both ways before crossing the street.

I feel safer because of the parking “problems” at WT.  I feel like the construction on campus is increasing the value of my education.