WTAMU student wins advertising scholarships

Stacy Saultz, a WTAMU junior Advertising and Public Relations major, is the recipient of two advertising scholarships – a $2,500 national Advertising Hall of Fame Legacy Fund Scholarship awarded by the American Advertising Federation and a $1,500 Advertising Education Foundation of Houston Scholarship.

According to the American Advertising Foundation (AAF), the Advertising Hall of Fame Legacy Fund Scholarship was established to reflect the high ideals of the Advertising Hall of Fame and encourage future advertising leaders.

Candidates are evaluated on their academic achievements and volunteer efforts within the community.  The scholarship provides financial assistance to an undergraduate student in his or her junior year who demonstrates a strong desire to pursue a career in the advertising industry.The Advertising Education Foundation of Houston Scholarship is awarded to students who demonstrate commitment to the communications industry with internship or work experience, industry activities and participation in communications professions or campus organizations. This scholarship is typically reserved for Houston area residents.

Saultz received one of nine Legacy scholarships and one of 11 AEFH scholarships. The University has had students receive similar scholarships, but Saultz is the first to receive these particular scholarships.

“I’m really excited,” Saultz said. “It will help me out tremendously next year. It’s a big blessing.”

Saultz applied for the scholarships after hearing about them from Lori Westermann, an instructor of Mass Communication, during an Ad/PR Society meeting.

“I’m thrilled she took the initiative and applied for the scholarships,” Westermann said. “I tell my students all the time that they can compete against other students and this is visible representation of that.”

Westermann said while hundreds of students applied for these scholarships, she can’t think of anyone more deserving than Saultz.

“Stacy represents the best of our students in this program. She is an extremely hard-working and selfless team player,” she said. “She’s so selfless that she didn’t even tell anyone she won these scholarships.”

Westermann was taken aback when one of the AEFH board members congratulated her for having one of her students win one of the scholarships. She thought he was mistaken, but he took out his phone and said it was Saultz.

“She said she didn’t want to make a big deal of it,” Westermann said. “Then she said I was probably going to be mad because she also won a Legacy scholarship. She’s not one to draw attention to herself.”

Saultz currently serves as the secretary of the Ad/PR club and is brand manager and a presenter for Buffalo Advertising, the University’s National Student Advertising Team.

Saultz said she feels working with the NSAC team helped further her into advertising.

“In all aspects, it was a great thing to be a part of and it was the best real world-type situation for advertising,” she said. “It really showed me what the industry will be like.”

After graduating, Saultz would like to work for a non-profit or cause-oriented organization and Westermann feels that Saultz’s selfless nature would make her the right fit.

“It’s great to see someone as gifted as her take her selfless spirit into these organizations,” she said. “That’s where her heart is and it’s refreshing and authentic.”