Rudy Giuliani coming to Amarillo

The Prairie.
The Prairie.

Former mayor of New York City, Rudy Giuliani, will be visiting Amarillo on Oct.16 to speak at “An Evening of Leadership and Legacy” event, hosted by the Underwood Law Firm.

Giuliani, who was mayor of New York during the 9/11 attacks, will speak about leadership, which is also the title of his new book. According to Beth Duke, executive director of Center City, Giuliani will be the main speaker at the event.

“Leadership is the theme of the evening and Giuliani proved to be a great leader after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, when he put in place plans that helped to clean up the city” Duke said.

Jennifer Volmer from the Underwood Law Firm said she read Leadership and that it is a fantastic example on how Giuliani got through the trials of 9/11.

“The book speaks about how he has gotten where he has gotten,” Volmer said.

Professor and Coordinator of the Amarillo College Honors program, Judy Carter, said she heard Giuliani speak to thousands of Phi Theta Kappa (International Honors Society for junior colleges) students a few years ago. She said he is a dynamic speaker with the ability to create a sense of immediacy even in that large of a setting.

The proceeds for this event will be going to Amarillo’s Center City and the Amarillo College Honors Program.

“Center City is so grateful to the Underwood Law Firm to give us the proceeds,” Duke said.

Carter said any proceeds coming to the department would be used in advancing the mission of the Honors Program to enrich the lives of their students.

The speech could be relevant to all college students because of the significant role Giuliani played during the historic event, according to Carter.

“Most students at AC and WTAMU were children on that dreadful day, but should be aware of his role at that time in holding our nation together,” Carter said. “Giuliani is an import leader in American recent history. I’m sure anyone who wants to make a difference with his or her life will gain from hearing him speak.”

Duke said this speech is a part of history and preserving that history is important.
“This speech would be good for any Political Science or History major, or anyone interested in leadership or business,” Duke said.

The event will be held at the Amarillo Civic Center on October 16 at 8 p.m. Students can purchase tickets at the Amarillo Civic Center or United for a discounted rate of $5 with a valid college identification.