WTAMU hosts Career Expo for students

The Prairie.
The Prairie.

Over 60 employers from the Amarillo and Canyon area gathered in the WTAMU Alumni Banquet Facility for the annual Career Expo on Oct. 4.

The career expo is intended to introduce students to the work world and allow them to improve on their networking skills.

Any WT student – freshman and sophomores who wanted to see what was available to them in the years to come and junior and senior students who were looking for internship and career possibilities – were encouraged to visit the employers.

“I wanted to see if I had any chances next year at getting an internship. I like getting to know all the companies and how diverse they are,” Ixavier Hernandez, a freshman Mechanical Engineering major, said.

Students who were interested in job opportunities walked around the fair in business attire while employers waited at their booths to give information to the students.
“Most of the students plan on having careers,” Kim Muller, interim director of Career Services, said. “They have a chance to get information from the person that actually does the hiring.”

Many of the businesses have participated in the career fair for several years. They continue to come because WT has such a good reputation and has such great students and great programs, Muller said. Wells Fargo Bank was in attendance at the job fair and one of the representatives was a former WT graduate.

“We have participated for at least five years. I was hired at Wells Fargo at the job fair. I was an Ag[riculture] Business major and graduated in 2003,” Melissa Corvin, assistant branch manager at Wells Fargo in Canyon, said.

There was a pre-expo reception the night before which students had to RSVP through BuffJobs to attend. The reception gave students a chance to visit with some of the employers before the actual career fair. For information on other networking events, visit Career Services in the Student Success Center.