PULSE to host Alcohol Awareness Week

The Prairie.
The Prairie.

PULSE will be hosting Alcohol Awareness Week from Oct. 15 through Oct. 19. Not only is WTAMU holding an alcohol awareness week, but many schools around the nation will be participating as well. This event’s purpose is to educate students about drinking and the devastating effects it can have.

The week will kick off with a drinking and driving simulator, where students will get an idea of what drinking and driving looks like.

PULSE will be educating students about alcohol poisoning on Tuesday, Oct. 16.

There will be a beer goggle obstacle course on Wednesday, Oct. 17. Students will have the chance to experience what it is like to be under the influence of alcohol.

On the last day of Alcohol Awareness week, PULSE and students across campus will pay tribute to those who have died from alcohol-related incidents.

According to some WT students, Alcohol Awareness Week is very important and shouldn’t be overlooked.

“Alcohol Awareness Week is good because it saves people’s lives,” Melissa Hansan, junior Math Education major, said.

Another student at said he agrees drinking and driving is dangerous.

“Don’t drink and drive because you might kill someone you love…like your momma,” Chance Autry, junior Business Education major, said.

For some students at WT, Alcohol Awareness Week has a special meaning.

“I never got to meet my grandpa,” Bob Buckles, junior Social Work major, said. “Someone was drunk, crossed the median and a head-on collision occurred. He never even got to see his children get married.”