Summer camp job fair comes to WTAMU

Local News Story. Art by Chris Brockman.
The summer camp job fair is being held Feb. 5, 2013, in the JBK Legacy Hall near the food court. The job fair will be held from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Twelve summer camps from the Texas and New Mexico area will be in the fair. The event is sponsored by Student Career Services and REC Sports.

All of the summer camp jobs are posted on the Career Services website. The camps are targeted toward children through middle school with a few that may incorporate high school. Some of the camps include CETA Canyon, Philmont Scout Camp, Girl Scouts of Texas Oklahoma Plains, Hidden Falls, and 4H.

“We post jobs for camps on the student employee base from Washington state to Maine,” Barb Zellers, assistant to the director of Career Services, said.

The summer camp job fair gives students an opportunity to meet with the employers of the camps. Some students have found the event to be helpful with connections and job searching.

“I think the job fair is a very great thing,” Krystal Robles, junior Psychology major, said. “The job fair will give students exposure to the community and help build positive relations between the students and the workers in Canyon. It is also benefiting the students by providing job opportunities that would have been more difficult otherwise.”

Summer jobs are an asset to students who would like to be able to work with children and make a little money during the summer break.

“I think summer jobs for a little extra cash is great,” Christopher Tocci, senior Music Business major, said. “The job fair will give students the chance to find one.”
One of the best ways to be prepared for the job fair is to bring questions for the employers, according to Zellers. Informational interviewing is on the Career Services website at www.wtamu.edu/career. Students can go to the website to get help with finding the right questions to ask potential employers at the job fair. Appropriate dress is also important to make a good first impression.

“Dress nicely to be taken seriously, and bring a resume,” Zellers said.

If students have questions about making a resume, Career Services has two or three small group workshops every week for an hour. Students can even post their resumes onto the WTAMU Career Services database.

“I have used the student career services to help me produce a well written resume, and it was very helpful,” Robles said.

Another job fair will be held on Feb. 28, 2013, for students who might not otherwise be able to make it to the summer camp job fair.

“Career Services advises students to come because it is a good way to find a job within a person’s major and is targeted especially towards the students who are graduating in the spring semester,” Zellers said.