English Honor Society celebrates 50th

Local News Story. Art by Chris Brockman.

Sigma Tau Delta, established in 1924, is an International English Honor Society that confers distinction for high achievement in English language, literature and writing.

The organization, which counts with over 850 local chapters in the U.S. and abroad according to its webpage, is dedicated to fostering literacy and all aspects of the discipline of English. Besides of being the largest honor organization in the English field, Sigma Tau Delta offers to its members many opportunities such as scholarships and internships.

The Chi Theta Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta at WT was established in 1963 and offers student membership to undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled at the university.

“Candidates fill up an application, just one page and we just need to know if they have taken a minimum of two college course in English language or literature above the 1000-level, and if they have a 3.0 GPA in English courses, a 3.0 overall GPA, and three completed semesters of college course work” said senior Tori Smith, president of the Chi Theta Chapter.

Upon admittance into Sigma Tau Delta, students receive a letter of acceptance and are required to pay a one-time induction fee of $40 plus $10 for local chapter dues. This semester 11 members were inducted. Once the students are members of the organization they get access to all the opportunities and benefits that Sigma Tau Delta provides.

“The benefits of Sigma Tau Delta are endless,” said senior Caleb Baker, vice president of the Chapter. “Personally, my greatest benefit thus far has been the jumping off point that Sigma Tau Delta has provided so that I can join other organizations/honor societies.”

In addition to all the benefits, the students are also able to interact and be part of a huge network of other members with a similar profile. “Being a member of Sigma Tau Delta is a very favorable addition to any resume, ” said Co-sponsor RayLene Dysert.

This year Sigma Tau Delta – Chi Theta Chapter at WT is hosting a 50th Anniversary celebration this month. Co-sponsor Monica Hart explains that the celebration will showcase the chapter’s development over the years as well as member accomplishments from the past and present.

Student Membership Applications are available in the EPML Department Office (CC 324)   or from Dr. Monica Hart (CC 319). For more information, visit the West Texas A&M University Sigma Tau Delta page on Facebook.