Lighting up WTAMU

Students of the WTAMU Chorale singing traditional carols in front of Old Main. Photo by Natalia Molina.

Last Monday WT held its annual Carol of Lights event outside the steps of Old Main. Well over a hundred people attended to see the campus lit up, enjoy holiday music, help donate to Toys for Tots, and see Santa Claus. This year’s Carol of lights was extra special, as everyone had a beautiful trek through the glistening white snow to view the lights.

“It’s great because it usually doesn’t snow by this time,” says Erika Pickard, junior. “I’ve always wanted a white Christmas. I’ve been coming every year since I started at WT. I love the atmosphere and I enjoy coming to feel the Christmas spirit.”

After a cheerful introduction and some holiday collaborations between the WT band and choir, Santa appears riding a giant red fire truck, exciting both children and college students alike.

“Of course I’m going to see Santa!” said Shelby McCandless, freshman. “It’s part of the fun. We have Christmas lights, we have snow, and then there’s Santa and hot chocolate.”

Following the chilly events outside the crowd moved into Old Main to enjoy hot chocolate and cookies as well as mingle and meet Santa, who gladly took present tips and photos with people young and old.

“It’s a pleasure to come down here to see all the kids,” said Santa, global toy distributor. “I am particularly excited to have had the chance to come to WT and see everyone. Carol of Lights is definitely a unique event to this school.

After pictures, light conversation, and plenty of warming up through a heater system and food, attendees are excited that the holiday season has begun. Carol of Lights brought friends and families a little closer together and added a Christmas spark to the air.