Jackie Joyner Kersee to visit

Local. Art by Chris Brockman.
Local. Art by Chris Brockman.

West Texas A&M University hosted Olympic Gold Medalist Jackie Joyner Kersee on March 24. Brought in by the university’s Distinguished Lecture Series, Jackie Joyner Kersee spoke on campus in the JBK Legacy Hall. This event was free and open for anyone wanting to attend.

“I think that having an Olympic Gold Medalist can potentially encourage [college students] to continue pursuing dreams,” Dulce Fernandez, an undeclared freshman, said.

Jackie Joyner Kersee is a retired athlete that has won more than 10 medals in the women’s heptathlon and also the women’s long jump. Despite her most difficult problems, Kersee was able to do many great things, including being named the Greatest Female Athlete of the 20th century by Sports Illustrated for Women Magazine.

According to ESPN writer Larry Schwartz, “Kersee overcame poverty, tragedy, discrimination, and disease. At age 11, Jackie witnessed a man gunned down outside her house.”

Kersee had a rough childhood and despite the circumstances was able to overcome poverty and develop her athleticism. Kersee dominated the heptathlon, which is considered to be a demanding seven event competition. The seven events are the high jump, long jump, shot put, 200 meters, 100 meter hurdles, javelin and 800 meter run. Kersee holds the five highest scores and the world record of 7,291 points.

“I would really like to meet an Olympic Gold Medalist,” Juan Pinela, freshman engineering major, said. “I have so much respect for people who trian for the Olympics because it takes so much dedication and persistence.”

College students may find it difficult to get through their degrees. Through the struggles, every obstacle faced is a challenge that makes one stronger. Kersee is a great example to students of how to persevere and meet challenges head on.

Kersee has worked tirelessly on many social reforms. Kersee’s charities include the Jackie Joyner Kersee Foundation, Athletes for Hope, Youth Lifeline America and the Jeff Gordon Foundation.