WT fraternity raises funds for cancer foundation

Students participate in the cornhole tournament at last year’s Tau-Gate Toss.

West Texas A&M University’s Zeta Kappa chapter of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity will host its third Tau-Gate Toss on Saturday, Oct. 25 at 11 a.m. in the tailgate area of Kimbrough Memorial Stadium.
The Tau-Gate Toss is a cornhole tournament that will take place during the tailgating before the Buff football game against Texas A&M Kingsville.
“The game consists of two boards and bean bags,” Jake Morton, senior Sports and Exercise Science major and President of ATO, said. “The object of the game is to throw to the opposing team’s board and score points using a certain point system.”
The cost to participate is $40 per team, which consists of two people. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Panhandle Cancer Cure Foundation.
“Throughout the semester, we receive donations, get teams to play the actual event and then we present a money donation to the charity we would like to benefit,” Luis Montoya, sophomore Accounting major and Secretary and Philanthropy Chair of ATO, said. “Earlier that morning, we will also be volunteering at a 5K hosted by the PCCF in Amarillo.”
According to their Facebook page, ATO has been involved on the WT campus and in the Canyon and Amarillo communities since its founding in 1959. They have logged several thousand hours of community service and have raised thousands of dollars for philanthropy.
Morton said ATO is hosting the Tau-Gate Toss because it is important for them to help the community in any way they can.
“It’s also a great opportunity to show the community that Greek life at WT isn’t like the stereotypes they show on TV,” Morton said.
Montoya said his committee felt they could better serve the community by keeping the money local.
“One of the reasons I personally like this organization is because it is run entirely by volunteers,” Montoya said, “so we were certain that any money raised would go directly to the people that need it.”
ATO will also be serving lunch for a donation during the tailgate and cornhole tournament. Montoya is encouraging all who attend the event and lunch to bring a sock full of change.
“Tailgates are always a fun time,” Montoya said. “I hope people will enjoy getting to hang out with ATO as we raise money for a great charity. Everyone is welcome, and we hope for this event to be a successful one.”