Student Builds Photography Business with WTAMU Interns

Marni Steckmann, Reporter

When the Tri-State Fair comes to town, many WT students immediately think of the agricultural aspect; however, for Dylan Felger, junior agriculture media and communication major, and her team, the fair means a week filled with photography and responsibility.

Felger took charge of the fair photography and took on interns from WT for their first show with Felger as an independent photographer.

“Dr. Robertson and I have talked about what I could teach my fellow classmates, and through that, we discussed having interns working for D. Felger Photography,” Felger said. “Not only are you working with me on photography, you work with Austin [Voyles] learning the business side of it and some of my other photographers who are excellent at what they do.”

Austin Voyles, WT graduate, is a part-business owner in Felger’s business, D. Felger Photography, as well as Felger’s fiancé. Voyles and Felger met in November of 2014, and D. Felger Photography was launched not long after.

“We both knew where her passions and skills were, and we burned a trail to get to where we are today,” Voyles said.

Felger had focused so much on working under other photographers that she never had the chance at starting a small business until now. After Felger had been asked to work with her older sister shooting livestock shows, she rediscovered her love for her three favorite things: kids, agriculture and photography.

“My company has grown from the heart of a young woman who loves to work with youth and their projects by preserving their memories on camera,” Felger said.

Felger’s first intern, Lauren Mayer, a WT agricultural media and communication student, stayed with the business after her Tri-State Fair internship ended. Mayer attends almost every stock show that is booked through D. Felger Photography.

“Dylan has taught me so much, and I am very blessed to have someone like her in my life,” Mayer said. “I now get to do business with one of my best friends using Black Metal Kards, and it is the greatest feeling ever.  I also have changed my major because of the doors that have opened through this internship.”

Felger has worked to impact not only the lives of her first intern and her fiancé but also the local agricultural industry.

“Dylan has more drive and determination than anyone I’ve met,” Voyles said. “She has the natural talent to capture moments and memories, but has the common sense to keep working to perfect her craft.”

Felger has experienced good and bad times within her business but has found success through her employees and support system.

“They help me more than I could ever ask,” Felger said. “This all goes back to the support group for me; the people in this industry support others and support hard workers, and I am so humbled that I had this life changing opportunity.”

Through her work, Felger hopes that parents will be able to sit back and enjoy time with their children as a photographer they trust capturing the moments. In just a year and a half, Felger has made a name for herself and has opened a successful business that has not only helped her but also WT students and the local agricultural community.

“I can promise you this girl will make even more noise in the future,” Voyles said. “A lot of it. So watch us closely.”

photo-2
Courtesy of Kari Beth Langbein