Garcia Makes Site Visit to Cuba in Hopes of Taking Students in 2020

Dr. Nancy Garcia, an assistant professor in the Department of Communication at West Texas A&M University, recently traveled to Havana to investigate the possibility of a study abroad trip for students to see a different side of journalism and advertising outside the United States.

Contact:

Dr. Nancy Garcia

[email protected]

806-651-2414

“There is a different flow of information there than in the United States, so it’s a completely different world over there,” Garcia said. “It’s important for students to see that, especially students studying communications.”

Once the students arrive in Cuba, students would work with the International Institute of Journalism to learn the various rules of journalism in the country.

“Cuba has a different constitution and set of rules, so they’ll sit down with our students to inform them of the differences,” Garcia explained.

Although the United States currently has a travel ban on Cuba, Garcia explained it would still be possible for students to visit the country with a special visa.

“There’s a lot of documentation that needs to be done, but it’s worth the time and effort,” Garcia said.

If the study abroad trip gets approved, it will be a 10-day trip with up to 20 students, which will focus on studying journalism, as well as advertising in Cuba. 

About WTAMU’s Department of Communication

The Department of Communication has two undergraduate programs, media communication and communication studies as well as a master’s program in communication. For more information, please visit https://www.wtamu.edu/academics/communication.aspx

###