The Buffaloes mask up for this upcoming football season

Ceasar Escalante

The buffaloes gear up for Football season amid COVID-19 however this year may look different due to regulations and safety protocol.

This football season will prove to be unlike any other. With the ongoing battle of COVID-19 still at the forefront, we are all wondering what is going into effect this fall. The precautions being implemented for this fall’s football season are 50% capacity, social distancing, and wearing of a mask. This will allow the fans to have a safe experience.

“With 50% capacity, there’ll be plenty of room for people to spread out. Masks will be required and you know, all the concession stands will be open so that we don’t foresee many lines at the concession stands,” said Michael McBroom, director of intercollegiate athletics.
Student’s will be scanned in with digital ticketing, all players and officials have had symptom and COVID tests and no one will be allowed on the field except for players, coaches and officials.
“We’re trying to kind of address everything right now is just from a health and safety point, you know, capacity [is] going to be limited. And, you know, luckily, we have the guidance from Michael, our athletic director, but also the president, which that goes into A&M system and, you know, health department, state, local, everything,” said Casey Lish, associate athletic director for development.
All guidelines must be followed for a successful football season. It is important to remember that changes may occur at any time due to COVID-19.
“I mean, this is a fluid situation. And literally things are changing daily you know, what we implement now may change before the 19th and that may change after the first game,” Lish said.
According to the Go Buffs Go website, “The Division II President’s Council voted to lift the limit on competition to retain a year of eligibility for fall sport student-athletes. Previously, the Council had determined that student-athletes could play no more than 50 percent of the maximum allowable games without losing a season of eligibility. This positively impacts student-athletes in cross country, soccer, volleyball and football. WT Football is currently in negotiations to add games to the upcoming schedule as they can play a maximum of 10 this fall.”
While everyone is hoping what has been put into place will hold out the entire year, the Athletic Department is prepared to make changes as the year progresses. For more information on WT Athletics visit Go Buffs Go.