13th Congressional District Candidates to Tour WT, Meet Students

Copy by Chip Chandler, 806-651-2124, [email protected]

CANYON, Texas — West Texas A&M University will host campus tours and student forums for both of the candidates for Texas’ 13th Congressional District.

Democratic candidate Gus Trujillo will be on campus Sept. 24, and Republican candidate Dr. Ronny Jackson will be on campus Sept. 28.

Both visits are sponsored by WT’s Student Government Association.

“I want to bring the congressional candidates to WT so that students will get an opportunity to educate themselves and cast a vote for a candidate that will represent them,” said Seth Rodriguez, student body president. “And I want them to learn the importance of voting and how direct and powerful the impact of voting is on a local and state level.”

Both candidates will meet with school administrators and tour campus landmarks such as the College of Engineering Building, Buffalo Stadium, the Sybil B. Harrington Fine Arts Complex and more.

Candidates also will speak at 4 p.m. on their respective days to students and interested community members in Legacy Hall in the Jack B. Kelley Student Center. The forum is free, and social distancing protocols will be in place, so seating will be limited. Face coverings are required in all WT buildings.

“As an alumnus of WT, I know that it’s very important to visit campus and share my platform with the student body,” Trujillo said. “This upcoming election may be the most important election of their lives when they vote to determine the course of our country for generations to come. Voters across our congressional district deserve to know the goals and ambitions that candidates plan to accomplish for our area while they’re in office in Washington, DC. WT plays an important role in our district because many graduates join the local workforce to grow and improve our community.”

“West Texas A&M University plays a vital role in our community here in Texas’ 13th Congressional District,” Jackson said. “As the next potential congressman for this district, it is important to hear directly from the students and the faculty on what issues matter to them whether it be securing a job after graduation, college affordability or proper workforce training. WT generates millions of dollars in revenue to our local economy, and it is extremely important to me to stay engaged with the student population because they are the future leaders in our community and their voices matter.”

The candidate events are an example of how WT serves its corner of Texas, part of its long-term plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World.

WT is located in Canyon, Texas, on a 342-acre residential campus. Established in 1910, the University has been part of The Texas A&M University System since 1990. With enrollment of more than 10,000, WT offers 60 undergraduate degree programs, 38 master’s degrees and two doctoral degrees. The University is also home to the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, the largest history museum in the state and the home of one of the Southwest’s finest art collections. The Buffaloes are a member of the NCAA Division II Lone Star Conference and offers 15 men’s and women’s athletics programs.