WT Partnering with Canyon, InVision Hotel Group for New On-Campus Hotel

Copy by Chip Chandler, 806-651-2124, [email protected]

CANYON, Texas — Ground was broken today on the construction of a new, on-campus hotel at West Texas A&M University.

InVision Hotel Group will construct a new Hampton Inn and Suites on University property at 3401 Fourth Ave., east of a Holiday Inn Express that’s also leased to private owners.

“We believe that, given the way the University has been growing in the last 10 years and with the lack of new hotels in Canyon, partnering now with WT and the City of Canyon will attract guests from all over,” said Pritesh Bhakta, co-owner of InVisionHotel Group.

The new, four-story Hampton Inn will feature about 90 rooms and suites, an expanded banquet and conference room, an outdoor area for picnics, a pool and a bar, Bhakta said.

The project began after a feasibility study was commissioned by the Canyon Economic Development Corp., said Evelyn Ecker, CEDC executive director.

We invested in the lodging feasibility study several years ago, realizing the growth in the community, especially WT. The result of the study validated the need for additional lodging,” Ecker said. “This new Hampton Inn will allow more people to stay in Canyon and enjoy our community.”

“We’ve been needing this,” echoed Roger Remlinger, executive director of the Canyon Chamber of Commerce. “This is a great opportunity for us to bring in more tourism, both in our city and at Palo Duro Canyon State Park. We’re excited for this new partnership.”

The project officially will get underway in January, with a projected November 2021 completion.

The agreement calls for InVision to pay an annual rental fee to lease the ground from WT for the next 35 years.

“This is a good partnership not only for the University, but also for the City of Canyon,” said Randy Rikel, vice president for business and finance. “Bringing in another hotel will increase the hotel occupancy tax collected by the city, which in turn will benefit the University and other entities around the community.”

The hotel is in easy driving distance not only of Palo DuroCanyon, but also the WT campus and downtown Canyon.

A focus on community life is a key component of the University’s long-term plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World.

About West Texas A&M University

WT is located in Canyon, Texas, on a 342-acre residential campus. Established in 1910, the University has been part of The Texas A&M University System since 1990. With enrollment of more than 10,000, WT offers 60 undergraduate degree programs, 38 master’s degrees and two doctoral degrees. The University is also home to the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, the largest history museum in the state and the home of one of the Southwest’s finest art collections. The Buffaloes are a member of the NCAA Division II Lone Star Conference and offers 15 men’s and women’s athletics programs.

About InVision Hotel Group

InVision Hotel Group operates 12 properties in Texas and Kansas. It is a family company owned by Nick Bhakta and sons Pritesh, Paresh and Jayesh. The company provides hotel development services, including planning and engineering, design and construction, and renovations, as well as hotel management and operations services.