WT Communication Educator Receives Statewide Award

Copy by 1910 PR, [email protected]

CANYON, Texas – A faculty member in West Texas A&M University’s Department of Communication recently was named University Educator of the Year by the Texas Speech Communication Association.

Dr. Carolyn Baum, assistant professor of communication, received the honor at the association’s annual convention held Oct. 6 to 8 in Rockwall.

“Receiving the TSCA University Educator of the Year recognition is an honor, and I am thankful for students and colleagues who have helped me grow into the educator I have become,” Baum said.

TSCA is the largest state professional communication association in the nation. The association serves communication professionals and high school, college and university educators in 20 districts across Texas.

“In all of my university duties, I strive to make each element student-centered, encouraging inclusivity and student autonomy by starting with students’ strengths and goals, and helping them forge a pathway to their future,” Baum said.

In addition to teaching in the Department of Communication, Baum serves as the director of the Attebury Honors Program at WT, where she works with scholars from across campus. Her courses include interpersonal communication, intercultural communication, and nonverbal communication.

“I felt really honored to be able to present Dr. Baum with this award,” said Lacy Cannon, immediate past president of TSCA and WT instructor of communication. “She is an outstanding educator and has been extremely active in our organization.”

Award nomination portfolios include the nominee’s teaching philosophy and letters of recommendation from colleagues, supervisors and former students. The Educator of the Year Committee reviews all nominations and selects a recipient to be named at the association’s annual convention.

Baum joined the WTAMU faculty in 2013. She earned her bachelor’s degree in English in 2003 and her master’s in interdisciplinary studies with an emphasis in communication in 2010, both from WT. She earned her Ph.D. in higher education research 2021 from Texas Tech University.

The high quality of WT’s faculty and the work environment the University nurtures are key missions of the University’s long-range plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World.