Quintet of WT Students to Offer Diverse Exhibition Opening Dec. 1

CANYON, Texas — Five undergraduate art students at West Texas A&M University will be featured in a wide-ranging new exhibition opening Dec. 1.

“This Heart Is the Best of Me” will feature works by Lauryn Ammerman, a senior studio art major from Borger; Loc Dao, a senior studio art major from Saigon, Vietnam; Karime Gomez, a senior graphic design major from Amarillo; Peter Lopez, a senior studio art major from Perryton; and Phuc Truong, a senior studio art major from Saigon, Vietnam.

The show will hang Dec. 1 to Jan. 27 in the Dord Fitz Formal Gallery in Mary Moody Northen Hall. An opening reception is scheduled for 5 to 7 p.m. Dec. 1.

“The work they have made is as diverse as these students,” said Jon Revett, art program director and Doris Alexander Distinguished Professor of Fine Arts.

Ammerman makes modern renditions of floral paintings. Dao will present handmade artist books in a unique environment. Gomez is showing a painting, prints and a video. Lopez will exhibit paintings that mix representational and abstract painting. Truong will display abstract paintings and a wall-size installation that play on architecture.

“All of these students have grown during their time at the WT, and the work they are presenting is the culmination of this time,” Revett said. “While all the art in the show may be different, all the artists connect because each of their works are about deeply personal things, and really shows their hearts are the best parts of them. The faculty cannot be prouder, and we all look forward to what their futures hold.”

Graphic design students also are displaying portfolio posters in the Northen Hall Atrium and elsewhere in the building.

The exhibition comes through the Department of Art, Theatre and Dance in WT’s Sybil B. Harrington College of Fine Arts and Humanities.

Fitz Gallery hours through Dec. 10 are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and by appointment Fridays and Saturdays. The gallery will be open by appointment only during winter break, Dec. 11 to Jan. 15. Email [email protected].

Fostering an appreciation of the arts is a key component of the University’s long-range plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World.

That plan is fueled by the historic, $125 million One West comprehensive fundraising campaign. To date, the five-year campaign — which publicly launched in September 2021 — has raised more than $110 million.

—WT—

Among the works featured in the exhibition:

BFA22loc

Mixed media by Loc Dao

BFA22lauryn

Acrylic painting by Lauryn Ammerman

BFA22may

Acrylic painting by Phuc Truong

BFA22karime

Still from video by Karime Gomez

Top photo: Acrylic by Peter Lopez