Organization raises funds for diabetes

Kappa Delta Chi girls at their table at JBK. Photo of Frankie Sanchez.

Suzanne Malave, freshman student and member of Kappa Delta Chi, sits at a table in the JBK on Mondays to help raise funds for diabetes.

“I have diabetes,” she said. “I wanted to do something to give to the Diabetes Association in Amarillo.”

November is the Diabetes Awareness Month and the girls of Kappa Delta Chi are helping raise awareness and money for the cause.

“[Suzanne] sets a table for collective change,” Edlyn Romero, corresponding secretary/ publicity chair of Kappa Delta Chi, said. “It is called change for syringes.”

All the money collected goes directly to the Diabetes Association in Amarillo.

“What people give is important because with the obesity rate going up, diabetes is also going up,” Malave said.

The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation in Amarillo helps the effort through donations.

“They donated shirts, bracelets and buttons for diabetes,” Malave said.

This is one of the many events that this serviced based sorority does to help the community.

“We do philanthropy, it is the American Cancer Society,” Romero said. “We try to work as much to raise awareness.”

She said that the sorority also helps new students that are living the college experience for the first time.

“We try to help new students by offering friendship and an opportunity to join a sisterhood,” Romero said.

She also said that the sorority helps girls learn about real world situations due to the way that it is run.

“Meetings are under Roberts Rule of Order,” she said. “There is a lot to do inside the sorority to gain sense of responsibility.”

Romero said that these responsibilities are ones that you cannot learn in the classroom.

“[Responsibilities] you will do when you enter the workplace,” Romero said.