Student wins student body president’s parking spot

Student Body President is giving up his parking spot to help with the parking. Photo by Frankie Sanchez.

On-campus parking is a problem, but junior sports and exercise science major Omar Garcia will not have to worry about parking for the next two weeks. Garcia is the current winner of the student body president’s parking spot.

“Having my own spot is going to make my life a lot easier,” Garcia said.” I recently stopped driving to school because I was wasting so much gas driving around looking for parking.”

Student body president Tim Vela came up with a unique idea to help with WT’s parking problem.

“I decided to give away my student body president parking spot because I ride my bike to school, so I have no need for a parking spot,” said Vela. “Instead of leaving the spot empty, I figured I could raise money or raffle it off.”

Winners receive a special parking pass that allows them to park in Vela’s parking spot for two weeks. Vela’s spot is located right next to the JBK on the east side.

Omar Garcia is the third winner of Vela’s parking spot. The first parking spot was won through a random drawing. The second spot was a raffle from students who donated six cents to the six-cent initiative for the Unicef Foundation through Circle K. The third spot was raffled of at this past week’s CORE roundtable meeting.

The next chance to win Vela’s parking spot will be after spring break. Students can have numerous entries at a time in the parking spot raffle to increase their odds of winning.

“I’m not 100 percent sure how we are going to give out the next parking spot,” said Vela. “But I’m hoping to raise money for the people who lost their homes in the Panhandle due to the fires. I thought this would be a great way to give back to WT students and help out the community.”