Actions speak louder than words

Spectrum WT Logo. Courtesy of Spectrum WT.

Spectrum, a WTAMU special-interest organization, intends to bring people together on April 13-14 for ‘The Days of Pink and Silence’ to make a strong statement against bullying, simply by saying very little.

“We have high hopes for these events,” Spectrum Vice-President Emily Phillips-Murray said.

As a part of WT’s ‘21 Days of Change,’ Spectrum members have set two days to bring awareness to bullying and how harmful such acts can be. The first focus, the ‘Day of Pink,’ is an internationally recognized effort that focuses on bully awareness, according to its organizers. This particular event started in Canada and has since spread to the United States. On this day (April 13), participants show their support by wearing pink.

“Just wear something pink, whatever you have,” Public Relations officer Sandra Eblevi said.

Following the Day of Pink will be the ‘Day of Silence,’ inspired by celebrity photographer Adam Bouska’s ‘No H8’ campaign, on April 14. Students are asked on this day to be silent for the entire day as a way to protest hateful language. In addition, the silence is intended to honor victims of bullying. WT’s department heads have been made aware of this day’s activities. Students who wish to participate can put a piece of duct tape over their mouths as a sign of participation. “Speaking cards” also will be available from a booth that Spectrum will have in the JBK that day.

“We’ve done a really good job, PR-wise, in setting this event up,” Spectrum President Steven Rothermel said.

Spectrum members say that they are encouraged by past successful events and that students have shown their willingness to be a part of similar awareness days such as ‘A Day Without Shoes.’ However, they are uncertain as to how many students will be joining in this year’s events and what the effect will be.

“Most faculty, staff and students are aware, but whether or not there’s going to be follow-through remains to be seen,” said Rothermel.