iWeek returns for a second year, prompts student involvement

Involvement Week, or iWeek, is a four-day exhibition of student services and involvement opportunities. It made its debut last fall and was so successful that it is back for a second year.

“We were very pleased with iWeek last year,” Skip Chisum, director of student activities, said. “We were so pleased that we didn’t change anything.”Up until last fall, Chisum said student fairs were held on various days in the first few weeks of the fall semester. But with iWeek, all student fairs are held in the same week during the third week of the semester.

“Now it all happens at once and it’s all in the same place,” Chisum said. “It’s a one-stop shop.”

Eppie Wyckoff, assistant to the vice president for student affairs, feels that iWeek helps students by taking out the guesswork because there are no longer multiple dates to remember.

“It’s a good compromise to have it during the third week,” Wyckoff said. “By this time, students are settled into their classes and they know what they have time for.”

Many opportunities will be presented to students. iSuceeed, the student success fair, kicked off iWeek on Monday.

“iSucceed is focused on resources for students,” Amber Black, manager of the Student Success Center, said.

Some of these resources include tutoring services, career services and counseling services.

“These resources are covered by student service fees and we want to make sure students take advantage of them,” Black said.

Today, iBelong, the campus life fair, will be held at the Pedestrian Mall. iBelong is showcasing all campus organizations and activities.

On Wednesday, representatives from campus service organizations as well as charitable organizations from Amarillo and Canyon will be at the volunteer fair called iCare, which will take place in the JBK commons.

Students can learn more about faith-based organizations on Thursday at the faith fair, iBelieve.

“There’s something for everyone and students enjoy their college experience so much more when they’re involved,” Black said.

Wyckoff said she’d like to see all students come to iWeek and make themselves aware of the opportunities that are available to them.

“We hope that iWeek affirms the choice students made to come to WT and that it sends the message that we’re all a family,” Chisum said.

iWeek will take place everyday until Thursday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Free food and door prizes will be given away and students can swipe their Buff Gold for a chance to win a $500 Best Buy gift card.