Students Enjoy Cowboy Stadium Experience

WT fans go all out to support the Buffs. Photo by Matt Watkins.

WTAMU students experienced a unique opportunity on Sept. 17. While WT’s football team played Texas A&M-Kingsville, Buffalo football fans got to experience the one and only Cowboys Stadium.

Cowboys Stadium opened in Sept. 2009, and cost $1.1 billion to build. It can seat 80,000 people, and can fit another 20,000 more in standing room. The stadium site covers 73 total acres, and the overall site is 140 total acres. Along with being the newest, it is considered by many to be the nicest NFL stadium.

Buffalo fans made their presence felt across all 140 acres all afternoon. WT tailgaters were among the first sights people saw as they rode by. The Alpha Tau Omega fraternity’s tent was the most popular spot to hang out before the game. There were also several tents where WT alumni were getting ready for the game that night.Fans also enjoyed the many features inside of the stadium. As you walk around Cowboys Stadium, there seems to be millions of television and food stands around the concourse. There are also couches where people can eat and watch other games going on at the same time.

“Being able to watch other college games at the same time as yours is really cool,” freshman Social Studies major Phillip Baldner said.

Cowboys Stadium also boasts the biggest HDTV screen in the world. It is 160 feet long, more than half of a football field, and 72 feet above the field. It also has two 29 feet by 51 foot screens on either side. It weighs 600 tons and cost $40 million. People commented throughout the day that more people were watching the action on the screen than on the field.

“Seeing the instant replays on the big screen was probably the best part,” sophomore History major Gary Newell said.

The students and athletes alike had their separate unique experiences. The students and other fans experienced the beauty of the newest NFL stadium, while the athletes got the experience of playing on it. Playing on a field that has built up so much prestige in such a short time could help players adjust to potentially playing at the next level.

“I think it’s a good experience for our students and athletes to experience a game on a field most consider to be the nicest around,” Associate Director of Student Activities Matt Maples said.

The Lone Star Football Festival provided fans and athletes alike with a unique experience. A total of 24,276 people came to Cowboys Stadium to watch the three games across the day. The WT faithful also came out in full force to support the Buffs.

“Thank you to all the Buffalo fans that made the trip to Dallas. WT had a very good showing,” Maples said.

[nggallery id=60]