Competition Heats Up for Students and Staff of WT

Courtesy of Education department.West Texas A&M’s hottest fight is back as students and professors heat up their crock-pots for the 6th annual Chili Cook-Off on Sept. 27.
The College of Education and Social Sciences will host the cook-off, which will take place at the Pedestrian Mall at 11:45 a.m. Even though the COESS will be hosting, Dr. Eddie Hendersen, dean of the college, says it will be open to anyone affiliated with WT.
“We invite teams from all over campus,” Hendersen said. “Student groups, faculty groups…faculty and student groups; whatever configuration people would like to enter.”
Each team registered will be required to enter two crock-pots of chili for official taste testers to judge. These taste testers will consist of various WT staff and administrators across campus, including Dr. Robin Capt, associate dean of Graduate School and Research.
“I’ve seen everything from emptying a can of Wolf brand chili to actually creating the chili,” Capt said.
The event will not simply focus on the best chili. Competitors will also be fighting for awards such as best decorated table, best non-traditional chili, and best chili name. Aside from bragging rights, winners will receive trophies and the grand-prize winner will receive bookstore credit via gift card.
Among last year’s competitors was the Black Women’s Association, who won the grand-prize for their Bacon Chili. According to Temitayo Fakiyesi, a junior Nursing major and member of the BWA, the organization plans on a second successful year.
“The BWA is trying to win twice in a row, so we’ll see how that goes,” Fakiyesi said.
The Chili Cook-Off began six years ago as a student-initiated event to help with student involvement around campus. Ever since, it has grown into an intense battle of taste and creativity.
“It’s really turned out to be much better than I thought,” Hendersen said. “People take it really seriously…some (teams) really get into it.”
Despite the intense competition, students hope to use the cook-off as a chance to not only connect with other organizations, but connect to their own as well.
“It was a nice bonding thing we did,” Fakiyesi said. “We just wanted to get out there as far as campus activities and be a part of everything that’s going on.”
Students and staff who are not judging or competing in the cook-off are welcome to come out and taste the chili for themselves.
Anyone who stops by to enjoy a bowl of chili will eat along with the local sounds of the Bledsoe band.
For more information on the COESS Chili Cook-off, call 651-2600 or stop by Dr. Hendersen’s office located in the Old Main room 410 to pick up a registration packet.