Who’s Who at WT

Who’s Who Among Students is a long-standing honors program that offers a prestigious award for students attending a university, college or junior college that have met specific academic, leadership and volunteer requirements.

“It’s people who are recognized as well-rounded people [that are chosen],”  Linda Washington, the executive secretary to the Vice President of Student Affairs, said. “It’s not just their GPA. It’s not just their leadership skills. It’s a combination of those different things.”According to Washington, WT has a standing committee to review the applicants. There can be up to 150 students chosen from the school, though that quota is not typically filled because many students do not attempt to apply.

“This was a very beneficial opportunity for me,” Rachel Adkins, an Agriculture Science graduate student, said. “It allows students to show initiative, and to be recognized for all of their hard work and dedication to their education.”

The deadline is Oct. 31 and applications can be filled out through the WT website. To apply, students must be at the junior level or higher, have a 2.75 accumulative GPA, be attending full time unless it is their final semester and cannot be previously selected. Transfer students have to attend WT for two long semesters before they can apply.

“It’s free and it’s good recognition. I just hope we get a lot of people to apply,” Washington said.

The chosen applicants receive a certificate at an honors banquet held by WT as well as a certificate from Who’s Who. Students also have the option to buy the book that lists the names of all who are selected.  Student’s names are also put into a national pool for a chance to receive a scholarship of $5000, $3,000 or $2,000.

“I think it really puts our name out there,” Kelly Williams, a senior Education major, said. “There are a lot of WT students making a difference.”