WTAMU students celebrate Fifth Quarter at Wesley

MC JD Newman hosts a push-up contest at Fifth Quarter. Photo courtesy of Wesley Foundation.

Celebration of WT’s victory was in full swing Homecoming night at the Wesley Foundation.  Students conducted their usual post-game gathering, called Fifth Quarter, which included music, pizza, dancing and fellowship.

Maroon Platoon President and Fifth Quarter MC JD Newman said about four years ago, Justin Carpenter created a way for the football players and fans to mingle after a home game.  Having a passion for parties and clean fun, Carpenter utilized the Wesley Foundation building to carry out his idea.“Justin was known to always enjoy a sick party after a good game, and wanted to create a safe atmosphere for everyone to do that,” Newman said.  “He wanted to provide an alcohol-free place for people to come and relax with their friends.”

Jessica Morrow, a Fifth Quarter regular, also attended the Homecoming party.  “Aside from the usual dancing, there was a push-up contest amongst the football players,” said Morrow.  “It was fun as always”

In addition to the Wesley Foundation, other organizations contribute to these weekly gatherings as well.  “CORE brings the pizza, Rec Sports provides drinks, and the Residence Hall Association always brings great giveaways,” Fifth Quarter Coordinator LorAnn Garrett said.  “Many people put in effort and work to get everything together.”

“The Fifth Quarter is really a collaborative, campus wide endeavor,” Mikey Littau, director of the Wesley Foundation, said. Littau invites all students to stop by the Wesley for Fifth Quarter, which is held on Saturday nights after home football games.  He believes “God is the author of celebration” and having fun is a great thing to incorporate into the weekend.

[nggallery id=87]