Mobile App in production stage

Web Editor’s Note: This story was written for the MCOMM 3309 – News Editing & Reporting Class

A new mobile application for WT students is currently in production stages. The app will allow students to perform the same functions as on Buff Advisor.

A free app called CIDM Department App is already in existence for the use of WT students.

The current app allows students to view newsfeeds and updates on WT sports, look up the distance in feet between buildings, gain directions on campus and directly email their professors.“Students use the CIDM app especially to look up final exam times, and to email faculty,” Dr. Amjad Abdullat, head of the Computer Information and Decision Management Department said.

The new app will be an expansion on the idea of the existing app, created by Dr. Abdullat and the CIDM team.

“Dr. Amjad Abdullat and his department are the driving force behind this [mobile application] initiative and have provided significant direction for the project,” James Webb, chief information officer of WTAMU, said.  “They have truly established a bridge between academics and IT to stay connected with our students and keep the university on the cutting edge.”

This new app will allow students to check grades, register for classes, pay tuition, and view class schedules, among other things.

“I would probably use the app on my iPhone a lot especially when I’m not around a computer,” said Adela Solis, Junior Marketing Major.

Dustin Hume, a newly hired application developer, along with the CIDM team are currently in the production phases for the new app.

When it comes to the area of technology, WT is certainly not behind in the times.

“I think WT is in the forefront in technological advances for universities because of the Webex program, digital signage and the apps that we offer,” said Abdullat.

A new course will be open in the fall of 2012 in mobile apps, instructed by Jeffry Babb.

“After we launch the updated mobile application, the next step is to port WT Class to the mobile device,” said James Webb.