Campus follows meningitis vaccination state law

Web Editor’s Note: This story was written for the MCOMM 3309 – News Editing & Reporting Class

Bacterial Meningitis is a serious illness that has been around for hundreds of years. WTAMU is following the law that was passed and signed by Governor Rick Perry that requires that every incoming college student be vaccinated against bacterial meningitis.

Student Medical Services, which is a division of the office of Student Affairs, has followed through with this new state-wide law.

“This disease is at higher risk within people who live in close living quarters, such as the dorms here on campus, and I would suggest every student to seek medical attention as soon as possible if symptoms appear” said LuAnne Rickwartz, R.N. at the Student Medical Services.Meningitis is an infection of the fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord, so taking a vaccine to prevent this among college students is a great prevention method to improve the health amongst the college campus, and Student Medical Services is making it easy for every student to have access to these immunizations.

“The vaccine costs $110.00 for every student. The student is given the option of placing that amount on their student tuition bill,” said Rickwartz.

Jose Garcia, resident advisor for Jarrett Hall said some students have been asking about Meningitis.

“A few of the students have asked me if they are in danger of getting meningitis,” he said.

“In reality, WT has not had a case on campus. Some other schools in Texas have had a few cases or outbreaks, but with our preventions, WT has been very lucky in not having bacterial meningitis on campus,” said Rickwartz.

Each student is required to show proof of having had this vaccine and will not be allowed to move into their dorm room without it.

“I wasn’t planning on living on campus my first year here, but since I was a freshman, I had to show proof that I had had the vaccine just in case I decided to live in the dorms,” said Jesus Lopez, a freshman WT student.

“I saw a flyer about it, and it’s crazy to know that the common flu has similar symptoms to it,” said Garcia.

While the cold days are approaching and flu season is here, it is safe to know that this campus is Bacterial Meningitis free.

“We’re here if the students would like more information, and just remember to always wash your hands,” said Rickwartz.