WT’s CORE creates opportunity to stay connected

Web Editor’s Note: This story was written for the MCOMM 3309 – News Editing & Reporting Class

On the first Thursday of every month, the CORE Office at WTAMU hosts the Core Roundtable. This meeting, which takes place over the lunch hour, offers student organizations an opportunity to stay connected with on-campus happenings.

“It’s our opportunity as a CORE Office to let organizations know what’s coming up,” said Edward Akinyemi, CORE consultant.

The CORE Office presents their upcoming activities and events, and allows other organizations to do the same. Organizations can give flyers about their own events to CORE before Roundtable and have them put into the packets distributed to all the representatives present. Roundtable is one of the easiest ways for organizations to let others on campus know what they are doing.“For a school and its organizations to be successful there has to be unity and connection so that we can support each other and succeed together,” said Brittany Reichman, who represents Circle K International and Tribeta at the Roundtable.

All student organizations are required to send at least one representative to Roundtable, but it is open to everyone on campus. The agenda includes an icebreaker and usually a guest speaker.

“Usually the guest speaker tells us about leadership opportunities in the area,” said Brandy Roberts, student body president.

Some speakers focus on service opportunities available in the area, since there are many organizations on campus interested in service. November’s guest speaker was a representative from the High Plains Food Bank in Amarillo.

The CORE Office makes a point to present ideas for leadership skills for those present at the meeting. In addition, new campus organizations are recognized by Dr. Albrecht, vice president for Student Affairs.

The CORE Roundtable is currently meeting in the mirror room in the Virgil Henson Activity Center.